Outcome of Segment Transport by Ilizarov Fixation in Case of Bone Loss in Tibia
Objective: To assess the functional and radiological outcome of segmental transport by Ilizarov fixation in case of bone loss in tibia.
Methods: This descriptive study was conducted at King Abdullah Teaching Hospital, Mansehra from 1st January 2016 to 31st February 2019 and comprised 20 patients. Patients fulfilling the inclusion criteria were fixed with were Ilizarove fixator and followed for bone union and functional outcome.
Results: A total of 20 patients with mean age 36.80+8.49 years (range 26-52 years) were included in our study. Male patients were16 (80%) while 4 (20%) were females. The mean tibial gap was 6.05+4.14 cm (range 1.5-13.5 cm) and mean period of Ilizarov treatment was 7.30+1.94 months (range 5-10 months) while mean follow-up was 30.80+7.19 months (range 20-38 months). Post op results were excellent in 6 (30.0%) patients, good in 8 (40%) patients and fair in 6 (30%) patients.
Conclusion: Cases of tibial bone loss treated with Ilizarov produce excellent to good functional and radiological results in majority of patients.
2. Bari MM, Islam S, AHMA R, Rahman M. Management of segmental fracture tibia by Ilizarov technique. MOJ Orthop Rheumatol 2015; 3(3):97-101.
3. Thakeb MF, Mahran MA, El-Motassem EHM. Bone transport for the management of severely comminuted fractures without bone loss. Strat Traum Limb Recon 2016; 11: 19-24.
4. Iacobellis C, Berizzi A, Aldegheri R. Bone transport using the Ilizarov method: a review of complications in 100 consecutive cases. Strat Traum Limb Recon 2010; 5: 17-22.
5. Al Shahrani AA, Tedla JS, Ahmad I. Effectiveness of ilizarov frame fixation on functional outcome in aseptic tibial non-union cases at Abha, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia: an experimental study. J Taibah Uni Med Sci 2015; 10(2): 216-21.
6. Iacobellis C, Berizzi A, Aldegheri R. Bone transport using the Ilizarov method: a review of complications in 100 consecutive cases. Strat Traum Limb Recon 2010; 5: 17-22.
7. Khan RDA, Maqbool MA, Yasin A., Effectiveness of ilizarov frame fixation on functional outcome in aseptic tibial gap non-union. J Pak Med Assoc 2015; 65: S179-85.
8. Alkenani NS, Alosfoorb MA, Al-Araifib AK, Alnuaim HA. Ilizarov bone transport after massive tibial trauma: Case report. Int J Surg Case Rep 2016; 28: 101-6.
9. Inam M, Saeed M, Khan I, Durrani A, Satar A, Arif M. Outcome of ilizarov fixator in tibial non-union. JPMA 2015; 65: S94-9.
10. Babar IU, Afsar SS, Gulzar M. Osteogenesis. J Postgrad Med Inst 2013; 27(1): 78-82.
11. Zaidi IH, Sahito B, Tariq SM, Kumar D, Ayoub AK, Ali M. Bifocal bone transport (trifocal distraction compression) with ilizarov external fixator for defective bone loss in tibia. Rawal Med J 2016; 41: 209-211.
12. Fürmetz J, Soo C, Behrendt W, Thaller PH, Siekmann H, Bohme J, et al. Bone transport for limb reconstruction following severe tibial fractures. Orthopedic Rev 2016; 8: 6384.
13. Azeem M, Hussain A, Iqbal MZ, Malik MR. Management of gap non-unions of tibia by ilizarov method. JSZMC 2013; 4(3): 488-91.
14. Soomro Z, Soomro Z, Azizullah, Muhammad R, Samo S. Management of gap nonunion tibia by ilizarov ring frame. JPOA 2017; 29(2): 29-32.