Tibials Anterior Cutaneous Tenosynovial Fistula of The Lower Leg - A Report of Two Cases
A fistula of the tenosynovium of tibialis anterior tendon and the skin in front of lower leg with discharge as a sequela of injury has not been previously reported in literature. We described two patients of cutaneous tenosynovial fistula of tibialis anterior tendon between 1994 and 2008. Both the patients were male with a mean age of 49 years. The cause of fistula was tight plater cast in one patient while the other had skin puncture by wooden stick of bushes in the jungle. Both patients presented with spontaneous drainage of clear viscous synovial fluid. Conservative treatment by immobilization and prophylactic antibiotics and surgical treatment by primary closure proved unsuccessful. In both patient’s excision of necrotic tissue and coverage with a flap resolved the drainage and healing of wound. No complication of flap noted. No recurrence was reported.
2. Naam NH. Flexor tenosynovial fistulas in the palm. J Hand Surg Am. 2012;37:925–9.
3. Shirley DS, Mullet H, Stanly JK. extensor tendon sheath fistula formation as a complication of wrist arthroscopy: journal of Arthroscopic related surgery 2008 Nov: 24 (11):1311-12
4. Richards RS, Curl LA, Moorman CT 3rd, Mallon WJ. Sterile synovio-cutaneous fistula: a potential complication of repair of large and massive rotator cuff tears. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 2006; 15:436-9.
5. Chen SH, Wang T, Lee CH. Tuberculous ankle versus pyogenic septic ankle arthritis: A retrospective comparison. J Infect Dis 2011;64:139-42.
6. Mendez-Fernandez MA. Treatment of chronic recurrent synovial fistulae with myofascial flaps. Br J Plast Surg 1993; 46:303-6.
7. Llewellyn HR. A case of intersynovial fistula in a horse. Journal of British Equine Veterinary Association 1979 vol 11:90:92.
8. Rasmussen S, Hjorth Jensen C. Arthroscopic treatment of impingement of the ankle reduces pain and enhances function. Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2002; 12:69–72.
9. Naam NH. Flexor tenosynovial fistulas in the palm. J Hand Surg Am. 2012; 37:925–9.
10. Diaz Heredia J, Ruiz Iban MA, Cuellar Gutierrez R, Ruiz Diaz R, Cebreiro Martinez del Val I, Turrion Merino L. Early postoperative transtibial articular fistula formation after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: a review of three cases. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 2014; 134:829-34.
11. Yiannakopoulos CK. Diagnosis and treatment of postarthro- scopic synovial knee fistulae: A report of four cases and review of the literature.J Knee Surg 2007;20:34-8.
12. Richards RS, Curl LA, Moorman CT 3rd, Mallon WJ. Sterile synovio-cutaneous fistula: a potential complication of repair of large and massive rotator cuff tears.J Shoulder Elbow Surg 2006;15:436-9.
13. Park CH, Ryu SM, Park JW: Unhealed Wound of the Lower Leg due to Synovial Fistula of the Ankle Joint-A Case Report: J Korean Foot Ankle Soc 2017;21(3):113-116.