Functional Outcome of the Proximal Tibial Fractures Using Ilizarov External Fixator
Objective: The objective of our study was to assess the functional results of Ilizarov fixator for treating proximal tibial fractures.
Methods: The design of our study was descriptive and we conducted this study in the department of Orthopedics Surgery Unit-I, PGMI/ AMC, Lahore General Hospital, Lahore from 14-5-2018 to 14-11-2018. In this study, 75 patients fulfilling inclusion criteria were selected. After informed consent demographic information like name, age, gender and address of each patient was noted. The surgery is performed under C-arm fluoroscopy. All the patients were followed clinically for 24 weeks. In each visit pain was assessed with Visual Analogue Sacale (VAS) and range of knee motion measured with a goniometer.
Results: A total of 75 patients with mean age 39.25±10.84 years were included in our study. Majority (81.3%,n=61) were males. Mean value of body mass index was 25.04±4.04. Majority(40%,n=30) of the cases belonged to Schatzker type III. Mild pain according to VAS was noted in the 43(57/3%). Knee range of motion was 106±6.82 degree post operatively.
Conclusion: The Ilizarov external fixator is an excellent method of treating Proximal tibial fractures. It results in good knee range of motion post operatively and with low pain.
2. Schatzker J, McBroom R, Bruce D. The tibial plateau fracture. The Toronto experience 1968-1975. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1979;138:94–104.
3. Ramos T, Karlsson J, Eriksson BI, BINistor L. Treatment of distal tibial fractures with the Ilizarov external fixator–a prospective observational study in 39 consecutive patients. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2013;14:30.
4. Singh H, Misra RK,Kaur M. Management of Proximal Tibia Fractures Using Wire Based Circular External Fixator. Journal of clinical and diagnostic research 2015: 9 (9):34-40.
5. Mills WJ, Nork SE. Open reduction and internal fixation of high-energy tibial plateau fractures. Orthop Clin North Am. 2002;33:177–98.
6. Katsenis D, Athanasiou V, Megas P, Tillianakis M, Lambiris E. Minimal internal fixation augmented by small wire transfixion frames for high energy tibial plateau fractures. J Orthop Trauma. 2005;19:241–48.
7. Ali AM. Outcomes of open bicondylar tibial plateau fractures treated with Ilizarov external fixator with or without minimal internal fixation. Eur J Orthop Surg Traumatol. 2013;23:349-355.
8. Ramos T, Ekholm C, Eriksson BI, Karlsson J , Nistor L.The Ilizarov external fixator–a useful alternative for the treatment of proximal tibial fractures. A prospective observational study of 30 consecutive patients. BMC Musculoskelet Disord 2013;14:11-18.
9. Ruffolo MR, Gettys FK, Montijo HE, Seymour RB, Karunakar MA. Complications of high-energy bicondylartibial plateau fractures treated with dual plating through 2 incisions. J Orthop Trauma. 2015;29:85–90.
10. Ferreira N, Senoge ME. Functional outcome of bicondylar tibial plateau fractures treated with the Ilizarov circular external fixator. SA Orthopaedic J 2011;10(3):80-4.
11. Elgazzar AS, Mohamady EM, Kandil WA. Management of comminuted tibial plateau fractures with external fixator using ligamentotaxis principle. The Egyptian Orthopaedic J. 2014;49(2):167.
12. Apley AG. Fractures of the lateral tibial condyle treated by skeletal traction and early mobilization: a review of sixty cases with special reference to the long-term results. J Bone Joint Surg [Br] 1956;38-B:699-708.
13. Apley AG. Fractures of the tibial plateau. Orthop Clin North Am. 1979;10:61-74.
14. The Canadian Orthopaedic Trauma Society. Open reduction and internal fixation compared with circular fixator application for bicondylar tibial plateau fractures. Results of a multicenter, prospective, randomized clinical trial. J Bone Joint Surg 2006;88:2613-23.
15. Lee JA, Papadakis SA, Moon C, Zalavras CG. Tibial plateau fractures treated with the less invasive stabilisation system. International Orthopaedics (SICOT) 2007;31:415-18.
16. Jiang R, Luo C, Wang M, Yang T, Zeng B. A comparative study of Less Invasive Stabilization System (LISS) fixation and two-incision double plating for the treatment of bicondylar tibial plateau fractures. Knee 2008;8:139-43.
17. Ries MD, Meinhard BP. Medial external fixation with lateral plate internal fixation in metaphyseal tibia fractures. A report of eight cases associated with severe soft tissue injury. Clin Orthop 1990;215-23.
18. Marsh JL, Smith ST, Do TT. External fixation and limited internal fixation for complex fractures of the tibial plateau. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1995;77:661-73.
19. Ali AM,Yang L, Hashmi M, Saleh M. Bicondylar tibial plateau fractures managed with the Sheffield hybrid fixator. Biomechanical study and operative technique. Injury, Int J Care Injured 2001;32:S-D-86-S-D-91.
20. Watson JT, Ripple S, Hoshaw SJ, Fyhrie D. Hybrid external fixation for tibial plateau fractures: Clinical and biomechanical correlation. Orthop Clin North Am 2002;33.
21. Kataria H, Sharma N, Kanojia RK. Small wire external fixation for high energy tibial plateau fractures. J Orthop Surg 2007;15(2):137-43.
22. Dendrinos GK, Kontos S, Katsenis D, Dalas A. Treatment of high-energy tibial plateau fractures by the Ilizarov circular fixator. J Bone Joint Surg [Br] 1996;78-B:710-17.
23. Chin TYP, Bardana D, Bailey M, Williamson OD, Miller R, Edwards ER et al. Functional outcome of tibial plateau fractures treated with the fine-wire fixator. Injury 2005;36:1467-75.